Thursday, January 14, 2010

Project 365 ~ Day 9 ~ Joel and Blue Snowball

Every Thursday Joel likes to "GO" to therapy. I mean he LIKES it! As soon as I tell him "Let's go to therapy" he says "GO" and rushes to the car. Today was no different except that today he took Snowball. He has fallen in love with this blue, stuffed bunny and since it's a bunny, it has received the love and name of our real bunny, Snowball. He insisted on taking it into therapy with us. Snowball had to participate in some way in most of the activities we did. It is actually very cute how attached he is to it. He likes to say "Ohhhh, kissy Snowball."
Joel usually gets a sticker after therapy. Today she asked which one he wanted. Knowing that there was no way he could understand or communicate enough to make a choice like that, I asked him if he wanted Pooh. He likes Pooh. He looked at her and very clearly stated "Elmo". He likes Elmo more than Pooh. Thankfully they had an Elmo sticker to reward his communication. When Isaac (my husband & Joel's daddy) saw the picture below, he was surprised. He reminded me that Joel doesn't like wearing his stickers. I don't know what was going on, but on this day Joel asked me (in his way) to put the sticker on his shirt. Of course, it didn't last long and then he transferred it to my shirt. And then back to his. The whole time not letting go of Snowball.

As you can see, he never did let go of Snowball. In fact, Snowball went with us into Costco after therapy. Snowball and Joel want to "GO!" somewhere, anywhere, anytime. It really is a blessing that this child likes to GO places in the car because he has spent A LOT of time in the car going to doctors appointments. As I drove away from therapy, I saw some people getting on a bus and it made me think about how blessed we are to have a car. It is one of those things that we tend to take for granted. There are many people without a car and if we were one of them, our life with Joel would be so much harder. On top of it being more work for us, he would probably not receive as much medical intervention. So, thank you God that we have a car. Thank you that we live in America where there is excellent medical care, excellent doctors, medicine available, ect. Joel is so blessed to have been born here. It is something we think about occasionally, if he had been born in a third-world country, he would be lying on a mat somewhere seizing constantly. He wouldn't be walking, talking, smiling, interacting. He would be a lump...like he was before his surgery. So again, THANK YOU LORD!

While I have these pictures of Joel in his carseat, I want to mention how much we have appreciated this car seat. I did a lot of research before we bought it, and I truly feel it is not only very comfortable, but it is extremely safe as well. The sides are so protective and keep him upright with his neck in a comfortable position when he is asleep. Joel and I both love his carseat made by Recaro.

And oh, I want to kissy Jo-jo...right in his kissing spot - the dimples just to the left of his beautiful smile (the right side in the picture)...and thank God that he is a part of our family.

3 comments:

Lillian said...

It is so much fun to watch Joel's progress. I am glad he is a part of our church and our lives as well.

Peg Pfingsten said...

I, too, thank God for giving me such a beautifully perfect (in Joel's own way) grandson. His sweet, loving, and inquisitive spirit brightens our lives continually.

Nonni

Erin McDonald said...

I am so glad you realise how blessed you are! We are one of those families who lives in a third world country and don't have a car and although we are used to it now and get along well with out, it is a true blessing from God! America is a great country no matter what term oil it seems to be in now a days! I will praise God with you that your boy can walk run and smile! And that he is a part of my life too! We love you guys!