Wednesday, January 13, 2010

One Good Veggie Recipe

I made some yummy asparagus with dinner tonight and thought I would share the recipe with you. We have been on an adventure trying to eat as healthily as possible because of Joel (well, really it's good for all of us!) I don't think I had eaten asparagus prior to one year ago. Now we love it. Well, all except Jonny and Jason...they tolerate it. When we ate it tonight, Joel couldn't get enough. He ate all of his and about half of daddy's. Steam asparagus for 3-5 minutes, depending on your preference for crispness. When done steaming, saute in olive oil with sliced raw almonds, garlic salt, lemon juice and zest (peel). A few notes: * I have never done the zest. It is still a delicious dish without.
* I don't saute hot or for long. The asparagus is already cooked from the steaming and I know olive oil looses it's nutritional benefit when it's heated.
* Most of the time Costco sells a bag of Organic Petite Asparagus in the frozen veggie section. (The back of that bag is where I got this recipe.) It's three pounds for (if I remember correctly) about $10. I prefer frozen vegetables because they are frozen right after harvesting, therefore ensuring we get the most nutritional benefit. Also, besides all the well know benefits of eating organic, certified organic foods are Non-GMO, and can never be genetically modified.

2 comments:

Greta said...

Yum! Thanks for the Cost Co tip. I don;t buy much there, but I am beginning to think I might be buying more--soon we'll have 4 to feed! I didn't know about the organic frozen veggies. I can't wait to try some.

Erin McDonald said...

I miss Cost co!!!! I miss organic grocerys and I miss you the most! you might have to steem us up a pill of Asparigus when we come over! We love it!