Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Project 365 ~ Day 7 ~ Making Cookies with Jason

Okay, here I go. I am going to tell you a story through pictures. Today Jonny went with Grammy, Grampy, and his daddy to work on my grandpa's house. Jason was really disappointed that he didn't get to go with them, so I told him I would make cookies with him. That wasn't quite good enough to make him feel better, so I was a softy and said he could make a really big cookie for himself. THAT made him feel better! I don't let them have much sugar, so cookies are a real treat. He loves baking (really anything to do with cooking) and I let him choose what cookie we would make so he choose No-bake Fudge Cookies and was excited. I will admit it, I usually avoid baking/cooking with my boys because it is so much extra work, extra time, and extra cleaning. It makes me feel guilty admitting it, but it's the truth. What surprised me was that I truly enjoyed this time with my boys. I really should do it more often. Extra bonus: it makes a good math lesson.
Jason made plans to share cookies with our neighbor kids before he started. He was so excited, it was cute. He did everything exactly as I told him to.
Joel was hovering near the whole time. I think he sensed we were cooking something with sugar.
After the first sheet was spooned out we set it aside to cool. Joel found a chair located conviently close to the cookies.
They were very tempting. So tempting, in fact, that I caught him licking one. I had told him not to touch them...and he was obedient...kinda. He didn't touch, just tasted. But he was trying to sneak the taste, and I caught him.
And that's just the problem, I caught him. When I told him not to lick the cookies, he got his adorable pouty face. It comes complete with teary eyes and pouty lip. I know exactly where he got that pouty lip because I've seen my baby pictures. This is the first time I've been able to capture the lip in a picture. Whenever he gives me the pouty face I can't help but smile because it tears at my mommy heartstrings with its cuteness.
I hate to say it, but I guess it worked, because this is the next picture:
I gave Joel a spoon to lick and he was a happy boy, once again.
I also gave Jason a spoon to lick and let him scrape out the bowl. According to my kids, this is the best part:
When the spoons were all licked, Joely couldn't contain his love for a brother that made him cookies. He just had to kiss Jason with that chocolatey face.

And Jason loved it!

What a sweet ending to a wonderful day. We'll have to do this again soon.

A friend asked me for the recipe, so here it is:

No-Bake Fudge Cookies

Makes 1 dozen

Mix together in a saucepan:

2 heaping Tbsp. cocoa

1/2 stick margarine (butter is healthier, non-dairy: Organic Earth Balance)

1 cup sugar (I use organic, non-bleached cane sugar)

1/3 cup milk (non-dairy: almond or rice milk)

Bring to a boil and boil for one minute. Remove from burner and add:

1.5 cups quick oatmeal

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 tsp. vanilla

Stir until oats are coated. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Cool before serving.

This is a great recipe to make with kids. It has been in my family for a while. If you try it, please leave a comment letting me know what you think.

3 comments:

Greta said...

Such cute pictures. And those cookies are so good too.

Lillian said...

Very sweet post Annie, and very cute Boys as well. I haven't made this coolies yet, but I am going to make them for my little boy....Ben> ha ha

Erin McDonald said...

Too adorable! What a fun mom you are! can I come over some time to no bake with you? I think you guys need to have some more one on one time with your boys! or even two on one. It changes up the pecking order and gives the middle child a little resposibility! I think this was a great plan. Good job my friend! I love you lots!