Thursday, March 20, 2008

Concerned

I am concerned about Joel today. The anti-seizure medication he's been on since he was nine weeks old is hard on his kidneys and they used to do blood work about every three months to check his kidneys. I'm not clear if this was because he was on more than one medication, but the fact remains that he hasn't had his blood checked in about 13 months. I'm not sure if this is because of an oversight or because the docs didn't feel it was necessary with him just being on the one medication. Here is what I am concerned with - his urine is not normal. For about the past three months almost every diaper change in the morning has been weird. By weird I mean dark colored and kinda like syrupy. It's really hard to describe but it's kinda heavy and gel-like. Anyways, it makes his diapers feel really weird. (And I would know because I have changed three kids worth of diapers and always used the same brand.) I haven't worried about it too much because I thought it was probably because the urine sat in the diaper a long time...since it was a diaper he had worn all night. In the past week it has started happening during the day. Well, I woke up yesterday with his kidneys on my mind. When I realized it had been so long since his blood had been drawn I thought "I wonder". Last night when I took his diaper off for his bath I noticed some blood in the diaper. So today he is going in to his pediatrician to get his urine tested and I am trying to get his neurologist to write an order for blood work. Update on my heart: I got a call this morning and they moved my Echo (heart ultrasound) up to next Wednesday. (A whole week and a half earlier :)! ) My stress test is on Monday.

No comments: