Saturday, March 15, 2008

All About Big Bear...And Prayer Requests

We had a blast in Big Bear. It was so nice to get some relaxation in and the kids LOVED playing in the snow. Unfortunately, there wasn't too much snow (funny thing...one week after we were there (tomorrow) it's going to be snowing). Oh well. I know it might sound weird to those of you who live in snow states that we drove 2.5 hours (one way) to go to the snow...but for those of us (me and my kids) who have grown up in southern California snow is a huge treat! Most of the ground had no snow, but there were patches and on Saturday we drove around the lake until we found a hilly area with about 2 feet of snow. The kids loved sledding and much to my shock Joel LOVED the sledding. He also loved having snowballs thrown (gently, of course) at him. He would giggle and giggle. SO CUTE! Also, look at how CUTE my munchkin is in that snowsuit! There's just something about a baby body in a snowsuit.Joel did not like walking in the snow. It was difficult snow because it was warm during the day and cold at night so the top of the snow had an icy crust. I already told you it was about 2 feet deep in places, so about every third step the crust would break and you would sink down to your knee. The dangerous and difficult thing about it was that you don't know which step is going to sink. After we had been there sledding for about half an hour my dad, who was carrying Joel (and shouldn't have been because of the precarious walking condition), had a foot go down. (Side note: As I was reading back over this I thought it imperative that I tell you that Joel is a Grampy's Boy. Always and only wants Grampy when Grampy is around. This is why my dad was carrying him.) The trouble was that he was carrying Joel and so not balanced. As he went down he twisted (he did a really good job at protecting Joel). His knee (which was already bad) got the worst of it. He couldn't move for awhile so Isaac got down on his knees and dug Dad's foot out. (I just happened to have the camera in my hand so I captured the whole ordeal.)
Joel seems to have this incredible sense about when people are hurt and so he went over and started kissing Grampy. After he was done kissing Grampy, Joel sat in Grampy's lap with a worried look on his face.
It was hard getting Dad out of the snow and to the car. Isaac went ahead compacting the snow so he wouldn't have any more unexpected sinkholes. This picture demonstrates the problem perfectly as you can see my mom's right leg had sank up to her knee.

My dad spent the rest of the weekend in a chair in the time-share. He hasn't been able to put his full weight on that leg since and still can't bend the knee. He did see the doctor when we got home and the doctor said possibly a bad sprain or a torn tendon or ligament. Please pray for him to heal quickly as it is very painful.

Also, please pray for my mom. She saw the doctor this week and still has the pneumonia she was diagnosed with in January. With my dad not being able to walk she has to do all of everything herself which means she isn't resting like she should.

Another prayer request: I just got a call from my mom and my grandpa is in the ER right now with pains in his abdomen. He was already in a skilled nursing home with Pneumonia.

To top this all off...I have had a really bad week. I have had a really bad cold that I caught from my mom....................I'm going to leave this to another post. Thank you so much for your prayers for us. I can't tell you how much it means to me that you visit my blog. Thank you and all my love.

Hope you enjoyed the slide show :)

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Dear Annie,
I pray for your families healings! Wow, as if you already don't have enough on your plate! Joel is getting so big! I hadn't checked in in a while. It's so great to read that he's mimicking you guys. Words will come, or else his own very special way to communicate. I pray for continued strength and grace for your journey. One day at a time...