Friday, September 7, 2007

9/7 Update

Joel Isaac - August '07 - Isn't he beautiful!

A quick update with more to follow later. The consensus is that the weird eye movements are not seizures, but are more likely his eyes having trouble following. I feel in my gut that this is true and am comfortable with this diagnoses.

About a month ago, Joel's physical therapist (PT) said he was about a 15 month level and catching up 3 months worth each month. She also said we could cut our visits down to once a month and may only need 6 months more in PT. Praise the Lord!!! All the glory goes to God because He led us to the right doctors for Joel, He led us to the Tuberous Sclerosis Family Picnic in 2006 where we learned about the surgery, and He made it clear to us that the surgery was the right thing for Joel (even though it was the hardest and scariest decision of our lives.) Since the surgery Joel has made steady, incredible progress.

A couple weeks ago we attended the 2007 Tuberous Sclerosis Family Picnic in Irvine. Once again we learned something new. The Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance had published an article titled "Musical Ability in Children with TSC Does Not Show Developmental Delay". (To access this article click link and go to page 9 in PERSPECTIVE - SUMMER 2007 PDF File) The short of it is that there was a study done that showed that children with Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC) were not delayed in music ability and so music therapy may be VERY effective. Music therapy has taught other children with TSC to talk. I am going to do everything I can to get Joel in music therapy because he is very behind in communicating. Please pray that the insurance will cover the music therapy. There is a very real chance they won't. In that case I will have to start fundraising. If you would like to help with Music Therapy (MT) please check back here as I will be posting a Paypal account you could donate to specifically for MT (only if the insurance won't cover it.) I will keep you updated.

Lastly, (I know, I know. I said a quick update. Oh, well ;) today Joel had a couple episodes where his whole body shook mildly for a minute or more. It made me remember that it has happened before (so much goes on with him that I like to watch him to see how often it happens before I start to worry, so often if it doesn't happen again I forget.) The shaking seems to happen when he is really concentrating on doing something or excited. But it is unusual and I can't make it stop. I feel in my heart that the episodes are seizures and that scares me so much that I can't think about it. If they are that means that our whole family once again goes down the road of trying new combinations of meds and always watching Joel, waiting for the next one. Our life becomes consumed with many more doctor visits, tests, phone calls to doctors, trips to the ER and meds. It is hard on Jonny and Jason because I don't have as much time for them and even though they are very understanding at their young age, I don't like it. I do know, though, that God is in control and I have to lay Joel at His feet in prayer. Please join me in praying for Joel that the seizures are not back and that he will continue feeling well and developing. Please also pray that I can accept God's will and if the seizures are back that God will give our entire family (but especially Isaac and me) strength to get through the coming days, months, years. Pray that we can comfort Joel when needed. I am convinced that it is the hardest thing in life to watch your children suffer and not be able to do anything to help them.

Thank you all for your support, in prayer, emotionally, physically, and financially. We could not have made it through the last 2 years without each one of you.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I am so greatfull to God for your family and for the lessons he is teaching me! Thank you for pointing to HIM and reminding us all that God is all knowing all powerful and always in control! I love you! erin:)