Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 7 Update

Yesterday was day seven. Seven days old and seven days in the hospital. This is what she looked like when I got to the hospital:

Her bilirubin is too high so she spent the day under photo-therapy. The nurses like to make her look girlie, so they drew eyelashes on her goggles. News this morning is that her bilirubin has gone up even more, so she is now also on a blanket that is giving her photo-therapy from underneath as well. The doctors are explaining that the jaundice is because she isn't eating yet, so she hasn't moved the maconium through her system. They did start giving her some breast milk yesterday. A VERY small amount, and they are watching to see if she's digesting it. She did well with it yesterday, but last night wasn't digesting everything, so they aren't giving her as much. I am so thankful that she is able to have some breast milk, however little, because I know how good that will be for her.
In the late afternoon they extubated her. She did well with that and it was fun to see her face without tape for the first time since having her. She now has a c-pap (the tubes going into her nose that are giving her oxygen and can give her some pressure if needed). It seems rather uncomfortable, so I am hoping that really soon she will be able to move to the next level down in nose tubes. They let me take this picture of her before they put a feeding tube down her throat.

And finally, late last night, I got to hold my first daughter. It is difficult because there are so many tubes and wires, but oh so worth it. She feels so tiny and soft. Thanks to the nurse who took some pictures.
While I was holding her she awoke some and I got to see some glimpses of her eyes. She also found her hand and started sucking on her pinkie.
Praise the Lord:
  • She was extubated and is breathing on her own with the help of some extra oxygen
  • She is tolerating some breast milk
  • Her stats look good
  • I GOT TO HOLD HER! :)
Please pray:
  • That her bilirubin will come down
  • That we can increase the amount of breast milk being fed
  • That she would be able to start eating out of a bottle soon instead of the feeding tube
  • That eating would go well so I can start breastfeeding her soon
  • That she could have the c-pap off soon and her breathing will continue to go well
  • That Isaac's cough will go away so he can see his daughter (he hasn't seen her since the day she was born).
  • That Jason's and Joel's health would continue to get better
  • And that Jonny and I will continue to be healthy and not get sick
  • For strength for me as I go back and forth to the hospital and try to heal from having a baby.
Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts, words of encouragement, and kind helpfullness. They are all very much appriciated and help us to get through this.

2 comments:

The Halbert Homestead said...

Oh Annie! I started crying as soon as I saw the picture of you holding sweet Emma. You look beautiful, and so does she! Prayers are with you as always, I will be praying for Issacs Health!
Love you all!

Greta said...

Annie, you both look so beautiful in that picture.
I am so thankful you got to hold her.
We are continuing to pray for you all, all day long.
Much love from,
Greta