Monday, February 18, 2008

Joel is Napping!

Joel is actually sleeping during his nap time today! Hooray! He has been a pretty grumpy boy yesterday and today, so I wonder if he's not feeling good. He started making a "g" sound today. I think that is progress. It's so frustrating sometimes that he can't tell me what he's thinking, feeling, or wanting. At other times it's very sad for me. I would love to hear his sweet little voice saying "Mama" or anything for that matter. At least he's becoming more and more efficient with gestures. Although sometimes that's frustrating because he wants something and he can't understand why I don't know what he wants or can't give him what he wants. I guess I know he will talk in God's timing and I will continue trying to help him learn. (He is now 2 years 5 months.) Yesterday we went to visit my brother-in-law. The kids call him "Tio" (spanish for uncle). After trying unsuccessfully to see his kids (divorce is an ugly thing to a family - we rarely get to see our niece and nephews) we ended up at a park. We had a wonderful time playing soccer and throwing a football (all at the same :) time). Here is my question of the day: Why are toddlers attracted to anyplace where cars might be? It's like the parking lot, driveway, street, etc. are all magnets to Joel. The whole time we were there, all he wanted to do was run towards the parking lot. We were constantly having to run after him, block him or pick him up to keep him out of danger. The same thing happens at home. The moment we step out of the front door he makes a beeline for the street. The huge problem is that our short driveway is a hill heading downwards and dumping straight onto a busy street. Once those little chubby legs start going down that hill he can't stop them (and I might add, he is difficult to catch). To compound the problem, our yard is above the driveway so oncoming cars can't see anyone until they are actually in the street...and the cars go fast on our street. The key is to catch him before he can reach the start of the downhill. So, I will ask again: Why are toddlers so attracted to anyplace where cars are?

No comments: